Betty’s Three Bean Salad
Servings: 4 As a side dish
- 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 can red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 pound fresh green beans trimmed
- 1 large celery stick diced
- ½ small white onion diced
- 1 small bell pepper any color, diced
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped
For the dressing:
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ lemon
- ½ cup cider vinegar or use red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey you can use more if you like your bean salad on the sweet side
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ cup mild olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- Plenty of freshly cracked black pepper
- Optional crumbled feta
Bring a pot of water to a boil, season with a pinch of salt, and cook the green beans at a fast simmer for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse the beans under cold water, then cut into bite sized pieces. In a large bowl, combine the green beans and all of the remaining ingredients for the salad.
Use a microplane to zest the ½ lemon and place the zest in a small bowl or jar. Using the same microplane, grate the garlic clove into the same bowl. Squeeze the lemon juice over top, discarding any seeds. Add the remaining ingredients, (except the feta), and stir with a whisk or fork to combine.
Pour the dressing over the beans and taste for seasoning. Add more salt if necessary. Refrigerate for at least two hours, and up to a day before serving. If using the feta, toss in ¼ to ½ a cup depending on your taste, just before serving.