Whatever the plans, wherever you’ll be this Labor Day, this dish is for YOU! Full of veggies and cheesy tortellini, doused with an irresistible basil vinaigrette, THIS pasta salad screams summer in a serving bowl (or as it may be – a TO-GO container 😀) !
Be gone, boring, gummy, bland pasta salad! No more, I say!
How do you get a vibrant, tasty pasta salad that everyone will love? With this zippy basil vinaigrette.
Honestly, it’s all about the dressing. You could put this one on anything and be happy!
But here, I’m tossing it with a tortellini pasta salad. Because why? Pasta salads need help.
I’m constantly looking for that perfectly delicious pasta salad for hot summer days, and am usually disappointed with the recipes I’ve followed. You know it… they often end up dry and lackluster.
Well, not this one!
I’ve been making this basil dressing for years (thanks to my mom who introduced her version to me over a decade ago!) and after tasting it on this dish can say it is the perfect addition to a picnicky salad.
Fresh packaged tortellini is a fun alternative to the usual penne or shells, and utilizing canned artichokes and roasted peppers means this recipe is a cinch!
(Though if you’re feeling up for it, you can certainly roast your own peppers).
The trick is using a blender or food processor to get the basil perfectly creamy and smooth. You won’t be able to get there by chopping it with a knife. Just dump everything in the jar and give it a whirl. It’ll come together in no time!
So whether you’re hitting the beach this weekend, taking a picnic somewhere, or enjoying a summer meal on the back porch, you’ll just ❤️ it… promise!
We’ve got so much more fun in store. If you are new to Key Lime Lexi and don’t yet receive my emails with new recipes and ideas for better living, scroll to the bottom of this page and SUBSCRIBE so you don’t miss out.
Take Me To The Beach Tortellini Pasta Salad
- 1 8- ounce package cheese tortellini
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 can artichokes hearts in water drained very well*
- 1 jar roasted bell peppers drained and chopped, or homemade
- 1 cup small fresh mozzarella balls drained (not marinated)
- 1 small grilled chicken breast cut into cubes optional
For the dressing:
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Boil the tortellini according to package directions. Drain, rinse and place in a medium bowl. Add the tomatoes, artichoke hearts, roasted bell peppers, mozzarella, and chicken if using.
- In a blender or small food processor, place all of the ingredients for the dressing. Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides if necessary. Taste, and add more salt if necessary.
- Toss the salad with the dressing and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Tips & Tricks
Share this recipe with your Facebook friends!
Sounds perfect Lex. Can’t wait to try it. L,Mom
Thanks Mom! Love that dressing!
I will definitely try this pasta salad! I have tons of fresh basil! The potato and corn salads look great too.
Thanks for the comment Kathy! I know you will love it!
Salad & Mango Smoothie will be on my table this weekend .
Would love to hear how you enjoy them!
Looks delish! Will try this weekend!
Can’t wait to hear how you like it!