This cake has it all. It’s moist and gooey, sweet and tart, has a crunch, and is utterly comforting. Take advantage of our delicious Florida strawberries, and serve this at your next gathering, whether it be a cookout, dinner party, or even a brunch. This versatile cake is perfect for any occasion.
Strawberry Streusel Cake
For the Streusel:
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup pecans toasted and finely ground
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ stick butter
- a pinch of salt
For the cake:
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound strawberries hulled and halved, quartered if large
- Make your topping: In a food processor, combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Pulse to combine. Add the pecans, then pour in the melted butter. Pulse until combined, then set aside while you make the cake.
- Preheat the oven to 325 and butter a 9” springform pan or a 9” cake pan with 2” high sides. Cut a round of parchment paper to fit the bottom, then butter the parchment. Set the pan aside.
- Brown the 6 tablespoons butter by placing in a saucepan and cooking over medium heat. It will bubble and pop. Stir frequently, and when the milk solids have turned brown, pour into a large heat-proof mixing bowl.
- Stir in the sugar, then slowly pour in the buttermilk, whisking. If you pour it in too fast, the cold buttermilk will cause the butter to solidify. To avoid this possibility, you can have your buttermilk at room temperature. Whisk in the egg and vanilla, then whisk in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Finally, fold in the strawberries.
- Pour into your prepared pan, then top with the streusel evenly, pressing it down slightly and very gently into the batter. Bake for 55-65 minutes, checking after 40 minutes to make sure the streusel isn’t browning too quickly. If you see this happening, carefully cover with foil until the cake is cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Serve warm, or at room temperature, with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. The cake can be made 6 hours ahead of time, but it is nice served warm. Gently warm it in a low oven before serving.