You choose – breakfast or dessert! Whether you start or end your day with this bubbling baker of sweet, red strawberries topped with a nutty oatmeal crumble, you just can’t lose. 🍓
Everybody’s favorite fruit-laden, baked up treat… the mighty CRISP! Yes, another perfect recipe to try in my new Key Lime Lexi ombre bakeware collection.
Is there anything more magical than warm and bubbly fruit nestled below a layer of sweet, crispy, crumbly oats, almonds and butter?
From peach crisps in the summer, to apples in the fall – and my fave, strawberry in the springtime – fruit crisps are one of the best things going! But did you ever think to indulge in a crisp for breakfast?
Since it’s an *almost* healthy dessert, it’s an easy transition to brunch fare simply by swapping out the usual ice cream accompaniment for a thick, honey-sweetened, vanilla yogurt. And that crumbly topping? It’s basically granola!
This is our family’s favorite lazy Sunday morning treat this time of year, and as the leftovers reheat so beautifully, I’ll often double the batch for quick and easy breakfasts during the school/work week.
Of course, it’s also fantastic with a big scoop of ice cream – so if you’d prefer to keep it traditional, go ahead and enjoy it for dessert!
Are there substitutions for this Strawberry Crisp?
- You can use a mixture of different berries, such as strawberries + raspberries or blackberries
- Swap the Honey Vanilla Yogurt for your favorite ice cream, and this dish has dessert written all over it
- All purpose flour is a fine substitute for whole wheat
- Coconut oil can be used instead of butter
Can I make this crisp ahead?
- You can prep the strawberries and place in the baking dish the night before, keeping them covered in the refrigerator, but don’t toss them with the sugar and lemon until ready to bake.
- The crumble topping can also be made the night before and kept refrigerated.
We’ve got so much more fun in store. If you are new to Key Lime Lexi and don’t yet receive my emails with new recipes and ideas for better living, scroll to the bottom of this page and SUBSCRIBE so you don’t miss out.
Strawberry Crisp with Honey Vanilla Yogurt
- 1 ½ pounds strawberries hulled and halved, large ones quartered
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
For the topping:
- 1 cup rolled oats not instant
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons light brown sugar packed
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted, or substitute coconut oil
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 325 F. Butter an 8 x 8 inch baking dish.
- Place the strawberries in the baking dish and gently toss with the lemon and sugar. Set aside while you assemble the topping.
- Place the oats, flour, sugar, nuts, cinnamon, cardamon and salt in a medium bowl and stir to combine. Combine the melted butter and maple syrup and pour it into the oat mixture, stirring until it is all moistened.
- Scatter the topping evenly over the strawberries, then place in your oven. Bake for 45 minutes until bubbling and browned.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the yogurt, honey and vanilla.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven and let cool in for 10 minutes. Scoop into bowls and serve with the yogurt.
Share this recipe with your Facebook friends!