There is something about the combination of lettuce and strawberries that is so refreshing. In this simple, healthy salad, these vibrant ingredients come together with sweet spring asparagus and toasted almonds for crunch.
Strawberry & Asparagus Salad with Toasted Almonds
For the Salad:
- 1 head green leaf lettuce
- 1 cup strawberries halved or quartered if large
- 1/3 cup hard aged cheese (such as aged manchego, pecorino, or parmigiano), grated on the large holes of a box grater
- 1 bunch asparagus ends snapped off and cut into 2” pieces
- ¼ cup marcona almonds or regular almonds toasted
For the dressing:
- 1 garlic cloves grated
- juice and zest from ½ lemon
- 1 ½ tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 sprig rosemary leaves chopped (about 1 ½ teaspoons)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- Blanch asparagus by boiling in lightly salted water for 2 minutes. Remove and set aside to cool.
- Wash and dry lettuce and place in your serving bowl. Add the remaining ingredients (the salad can be prepared up to this point and refrigerated).
- Make the dressing. Place the garlic in a bowl and squeeze the lemon juice over it, letting it sit for a few minutes to take the sharp edge off of the garlic. Add the remaining ingredients and stir well. The dressing can be made a day ahead and refrigerated.
- Toss salad immediately before serving.