Fresh & bright. A citrusy cocktail perfect for the holidays! Grapefruit and lime bring the zest. Pomegranate syrup lightens the whiskey heft. Trust me, this is a smooth sipper everyone will adore!
I LOVE using rye and bourbon in mixed drinks. Even though I could NEVER sip ‘em straight, over and over again I find myself drawn to cocktails based on those brown liquors. Mixing them with ingredients that temper their strength and bring out their unique flavor is incredibly satisfying, and down right tasty!
I know you’re busy this week… so I’ll keep this short and my notes to a minimum!
All you need to know is this is a great cocktail for sipping on a winter’s eve.
So at the end of a long day when you want to kick back and soak up some holiday spirit, shake up this seasonal cocktail and enjoy!
Hints or Tips for Mixing this Cocktail?
- The simple syrup is well, SIMPLE! Just heat up some pomegranate juice and sugar until the sugar is dissolved, and THAT’S IT. That’s the hardest part!
- Definitely use fresh squeezed juice when making cocktails. It makes all the difference.
- New to bitters? You’ll find them in the drink/mixers area of the grocery store. Angostura is the most common, so this is probably the most likely one you’ll find stocked- and one that you’d get the most use out of in other drink recipes- but there are a number of other flavors that would also work (orange, cardamom, walnut, to name a few). Artisans have been developing great flavors, and they can be found at speciality shops and even farmer’s markets nowadays.
We’ve got so much more fun in store. If you are new to Key Lime Lexi and don’t yet receive my emails with new recipes and ideas for better living, scroll to the bottom of this page and SUBSCRIBE so you don’t miss out.
Santa’s Little Helper
- 3 ounces ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons rye whiskey
- 2 ounces ¼ cup pomegranate simple syrup*
- 1 ½ ounce 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 ounces ¼ cup fresh grapefruit juice
- 2 dashes bitters such as angostura, orange, or walnut
- 2 cinnamon sticks optional for garnish
For the simple syrup:
- ½ cup pomegranate juice
- ½ cup sugar
- Make the simple syrup by combining the juice and the sugar in a small saucepan. Bring it to a simmer over low heat, and stir just until the sugar is dissolved. You will have more than you need for this drink. Let it cool.
- Combine the whiskey, pomegranate simple syrup, juices and bitters in a cocktail shaker or jar with a lid. Fill with ice and shake vigorously for a few seconds. Strain into a glass filled with ice and serve with a cinnamon stick for garnish if desired.
Share this recipe with your Facebook friends!