A lite bite- carb and meat free- these little boats will whet your appetite, without spoiling supper. I love blue cheese with beets, but you could easily substitute feta or goat cheese. Roasting your own beets isn’t difficult, but does take time. If it doesn’t fit into your schedule, many groceries carry roasted beets in their prepared foods section.
Roasted Beet, Pear & Stilton Endive Boats
- 2 heads endive
- 1 small roasted beet
- 1 small pear
- 3 ounces blue cheese such as Stilton, crumbled, about ½ cup
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, salt and shallot. Stir and let marinate for 5 minutes, then stir in the honey.
- Dice the beet and pear and add them to the bowl. The filling can be made up to this point and refrigerated for 4-6 hours.
- Separate the leaves from the endive. Spoon a scant tablespoon of filling into each one, then top with the blue cheese crumbles. Lay on a platter and serve, or refrigerate up to an hour.