A healthy, make-ahead breakfast treat that tastes like a dessert bar? Yes, please! Do these the night before for a fuss-free morning- just gently rewarm to serve- or they are quick to put together morning of and taste great warm out of the oven.
With whole wheat flour and rolled oats, you’ll feel good about serving these to your family to start their day, and they’ll think they’re indulging in a coffee shop treat. I like to use a less refined type of brown sugar called sucanat (find out more…), which you can find in most grocery stores, but substituting brown sugar will work equally as well.
Raspberry Breakfast Bars
- 1 ¼ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups rolled oats not instant
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ cup sucanat or light brown sugar
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- ¾ cup raspberry jam
- ½ pint fresh raspberries
- Preheat oven to 375. Butter a 9 x 13 inch baking pan and line with parchment paper so that there are overhanging flaps on two sides.
- Combine flours, oats, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl
- In a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, scraping down the sides after each one. Add in the flour and mix until just combined.
- Press 2/3 of the dough into the bottom of the pan so that it is even. Spread the jam on top, then scatter the fresh raspberries. Take the remaining dough and scatter it in clumps on top of the jam. Sprinkle the nuts overtop if using.
- Bake 45 minutes until golden, then cool on the counter 10 minutes. Lift the bars out using the parchment, and place on a cutting board. Cut into bars and serve. They will keep wrapped for 2 days.