We’re in week two of mango heaven! While no small part of me wanted to do three straight weeks of desserts for this mango mini-series, I decided to dive into the savory side with these shrimp and mango “tacos.” (Don’t fret, I’ve got a mango treat in store for next week!)
In lieu of traditional tortillas, using lettuce wraps keeps this dish lite and refreshing – a necessity to beat the summertime heat. You will love the way sweet mango and briny shrimp compliment each other, and how all the other ingredients just pop in your mouth.
These “tacos” make the perfect fresh and quick dinner – maybe with a grain salad or black bean soup to round out the meal – or also make a great lite lunch. If you’d like to get your guests involved, serve them as a fun appetizer, where you plate the romaine in one dish, and the filling with a spoon in another. Your friends can make their own “tacos.”
These go great alongside a crisp white wine, though are equally at home with a bucket of Dos Equis on ice, and a bunch of tortilla chips : )
Score the mango and then “flip” the skin to make it easy to cut the cubes off.
Mango & Shrimp Lettuce “Tacos”
- 12 leaves of romaine lettuce washed, leaves kept whole
- 1 pound small wild key west shrimp, peeled and cooked
- 1 cup mango cubed
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- ½ cup diced white onion
- ½ cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ cup mexican cotija cheese or feta, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons toasted pumpkin seeds optional
- Arrange the leaves of lettuce on a large platter. Plan on 2-3 per person, depending on the size of the leaf.
- In a medium bowl, toss the shrimp, mango, cucumber, onion, cilantro, chili powder, salt, and lime juice together.
- Spoon the filling into the lettuce cups and sprinkle with the cheese and pumpkin seeds.
Tips & Tricks
- The filling can be prepared a few hours ahead and refrigerated. Fill the lettuce cups just before serving.
- You can easily make this vegan by substituting diced jicama for the shrimp and leaving out the cheese.