This is a great hot-weather salad. It’s cool and crisp, simple yet delicious. You could add grilled shrimp and pineapple skewers for a more substantial dish, or prepare as is for a light summer salad. Pomegranates are becoming more readily available at grocery stores (see my Pro Tips section on how to remove the seeds), but if you cannot find them substitute another sweet-tart ingredient such as dried cranberries, or even fresh blackberries. Fresh basil leaves or cilantro would be a lovely addition.
Hearts of Palm, Avocado & Pomegranate Salad
- 1 head green leaf lettuce washed and spun dry
- 1 can hearts of palm drained and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium avocado
- ¼ cup fresh pomegranate seeds or substitute dried cranberries if you cannot find them
For the dressing:
- juice of ½ lemon
- 1 small garlic clove grated
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Wash and spin the lettuce and place in a salad bowl. Top with the hearts of palm, the avocado slices, and then scatter the pomegranate seeds over top.
- In a small bowl combine the dressing ingredients. Stir well, then pour over the salad and toss. Serve immediately.