Perfectly moist, chocolate-studded, cakey banana bars, which use ALMOND butter in place of regular BUTTER for added healthfulness… and they’re scrumptious!
Got overripe bananas? It happens all the time! And Banana bread sure is delicious…
But what else can you make? You woudn’t believe how often I get asked for suggestions! Well… I’ve got the answer right here!
These are SO good they could be dessert!
BUT! They are healthy enough that we can all feel great about them as a snack!
The first time I made these, they disappeared before the end of the day. So I made them again that same week, and REPEAT 🤩.
(AND on the occasion that they last ALL THE WAY to the evening, I must admit I have been known to sneak in the kitchen after dinner, warm one in a bowl, put a little ice cream on top of one and gobble it up!)
Using healthy almond butter, whole wheat flour, bananas and coconut sugar, these sweet little bars are a perfect nosh for my family.
Even my nut-hating 10 year old can’t keep her hands off these! Though she knows it’s in there, she can’t even taste the almond butter.
I can, and I love it… it adds the perfect subtle nutty note to these gems.
Are There Any Substitutions?
- As noted in the recipe, you can use brown sugar instead of coconut sugar.
- Whole wheat flour makes these a little healthier, but you can go with white flour. You will need less, and that is noted in the ingredients section.
- Peanut butter would make a fine substitution for the almond butter, but realize that you will get a very different snack bar. Using almond butter provides a very subtle nuttiness, whereas the peanut butter will be more overt.
Who’s ready for some fun?
So as a reminder, here’s how it works. Watch this short 7 min. video 🎬 where one of my kids helps me demonstrate a kitchen technique, then we use it to make a YUMMY recipe!
VIDEO WILL BE ENJOYED BY KIDS AND ADULTS, ALIKE.
** This is part of the special Key Lime KIDS series, designed to help kids during these challenging times by providing entertaining and engaging activities for families to do together at home.
Subscribe to the full Key Lime Kids series on YouTube.
Our goal is to help as many families as possible with our Key Lime KIDS project, so please share this with a friend.
Healthy Banana Almond Butter Snack Bars
- 2 large ripe bananas
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar or substitute brown sugar
- ¼ cup almond butter
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour or use ¾ cup all-purpose
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325. Butter an 8 x 8” baking pan and line the bottom and up two sides with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas. Add the egg, coconut sugar, and almond butter and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Stir into the wet ingredients, then add the chocolate chips.
- Place the batter in the prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes, until the top is springy and bars are cooked through.
- Let cool completely in the pan before using the parchment to lift out and cut into bars.
👍 We’ve got so much more fun in store. If you are new to Key Lime Lexi and don’t yet receive my emails with new recipes and ideas for better living, scroll to the bottom of this page and SUBSCRIBE so you don’t miss out.
Most Recent Posts…