Fire up the grill!! It’s fun-in-the-sun time. Citrus-marinated chicken with a Caribbean vibe, grilled to perfection and served with creamy coconut rice… the forecast is looking bright and sunny on your plate!!
In search of something new and fun to throw on the grill this weekend? Look no further! This recipe is so simple, yet bursting with flavor.
I think the hardest part is just waiting – make sure you budget in a good two hours for the chicken to fully soak up the flavors of the marinade, but don’t leave it longer than four. There’s a ton of citrus in the marinade, and all that acid will actually start to cook the chicken and affect the texture if you leave it too long.
There are so many “best parts” to this recipe, I don’t know where to begin!
Okay, let’s start with prep time. In under ten minutes, you can whip up the marinade and get the chicken soaking.
But after the chicken has rested, you don’t just dump the marinade! That’s point number two. It pulls double-duty. With a quick simmer on the stove top, it actually BECOMES the sauce! Why toss the good stuff? After all, everyone loves sauce.
And now for the rice – I’ve found that adding canned coconut milk to my cooking liquid is the simplest way to add so much depth. Plus, with the citrus from the chicken, creamy coconut milk is the perfect foil to mellow the piquant flavors.
Are There Substitutions for this Dish?
- If capers aren’t your thing, use olives instead.
- Boneless chicken breasts could be used instead of bone-in breasts. Adjust the cook time down accordingly.
We’ve got so much more fun in store. If you are new to Key Lime Lexi and don’t yet receive my emails with new recipes and ideas for better living, scroll to the bottom of this page and SUBSCRIBE so you don’t miss out.
Grilled Caribbean Chicken & Coconut Rice
For the chicken:
- 3 pounds bone-in chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 small red or white onion halved and sliced
- ¾ cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons honey or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 teaspoons zest from the orange
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
For the rice:
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 cup low fat coconut milk
- ¾ cup water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 wide strips of lime zest use a vegetable peeler to get just the outer green part
- Place all of the ingredients for the chicken in a large non-reactive bowl and whisk to combine. Add the chicken, turning to coat, and marinate for 2-4 hours.
- Combine the rice, lime zest strips, coconut milk, water and salt in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cover the pot, turn the heat to low and cook for 20 minutes. Turn off the heat and keep covered until ready to serve.
- Prepare your grill to medium heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade, and pour the marinade into a small saucepan. Bring the marinade to a simmer and cook for 4-5 minutes until reduced by about half.
- Grill the chicken, turning two or three times, for 25-30 minutes, or until it is cooked through. Remove to a platter, pour the reduced sauce over top, and serve with the rice.
Share this recipe with your Facebook friends!