A crisp, double chocolate cookie all decked out for the holidays with your favorite seasonal spices! These biscotti are perfect on a dessert cookie platter. Perfect with a cup of tea while you take a break from all that wrapping. Perfect for dunking in your latte as a light breakfast. And certain to knock the stockings off of your cookie exchange pals!
I love happy accidents! My youngest, Miles, wanted a snack and asked for some biscotti – which I’ll say was a little random as it’s not a snack I usually stock – so of course we didn’t have any in the pantry. But did he stop there? Oh, he knows me too well…
“Well can’t we just make some, Mom?”
Of course. Yes, OF COURSE we can!!
And since ’tis the season, I decided to put my own little spin on a plain chocolate biscotti.
I thought, what would happen if I added some spice? A little cinnamon, a bit of ginger, a pinch of cloves, and allspice? And as we were heading in that direction anyhow, I thought how about I sub some molasses in place of sugar, and take it full on gingerbread-y?
Wanna know what happened?
*Magic* happened. The spices took over. The kitchen filled with an incredible aroma. Fireworks of gingerbread bliss sparkled through the house.
And in under one hour from Miles’s innocent what-if, the kids were munching on freshly made, absolutely delicious, double chocolate biscotti.
I took a nibble to see what all the fuss was about… then I saved another for dessert later that night, planning to dunk it in a warm cup of tea with milk.
The next morning the fam polished off the remaining cookies for breakfast.
See, there’s never a wrong time of day for biscotti!
I think they’d even go nicely alongside a little nip of dessert wine to tuck into the evening.
So while I had thought this year’s holiday cookie platter was set, these gingery, chocolaty biscotti will proudly stand next to some other perennial favorites (snowballs, forgottens, gingerbread cookies, nut horns, baci di dama, and peppermint crinkles).
Thanks for the nudge, Miles!!
We’ve got so much more fun in store. If you are new to Key Lime Lexi and don’t yet receive my emails with new recipes and ideas for better living, scroll to the bottom of this page and SUBSCRIBE so you don’t miss out.
Double Chocolate Gingerbread Biscotti
- 2 cups 250 g all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup 75 g cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cup 330 g dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Cook over medium high heat until the milk solids in the butter turn brown. Immediately pour into a heat proof bowl. Add the brown sugar and molasses and whisk. Set aside to cool for a bit.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, and all the spices. Whisk to combine.
- To the butter mixture, add the ginger and vanilla and whisk. Whisk in the eggs one at a time, then fold in the flour mixture and finally the chocolate chips. It should be a thick batter, almost more like a dough.
- Divide the dough in half and form it into two long rectangles on the baking sheet, about 1 inch high and 4 inches wide. Bake for 30 minutes until cracked on top and cooked through.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and let cool for 10-15 minutes. Turn the oven down to 325.
- Carefully slice across the logs, using a serrated knife, into 24 cookies. Return them to the oven and bake for 12 more minutes, turning them over half way through. Let cool completely. Cookies keep for 1-2 weeks at room temperature.
Share this recipe with your Facebook friends!