What’s every kid’s favorite food at a cookout? Well, hot dogs, of course. When slathered with ketchup they’re a hit with even the pickiest of eaters.
BUT these beauties aren’t meant for the little tot in your life… they are ALL grown up, and ALL yours.
Hot dogs are currently having their day in the sun, likely for the same reason that kids love them so much… they are a blank canvas for added flavor. And chefs are making hay— gourmet joints are popping up all over the country, showcasing their delicious and decadent franks.
Tasty doesn’t have to mean fancy, and I’ve got just the dog for you. My “corn dog” is a play on that traditional festival food, but oh so much better. An easy-to-put-together corn salsa elevates the humble hot dog to a worthwhile dinner, adding crunch and sophistication. The chipotle mayo brings a blast of sweet heat, perfectly complimenting the corn.
For a casual get together, serve these on party plates alongside chips and beer. Use your favorite brand of traditional hot dog— I advocate going with a nitrate-free version— or substitute for turkey, veggie, or a brat or sausage works great, too.
Try my “corn dog” and let all your friends know you’re on the cutting edge of a latest food trend:)
“Keeping it simple… with a side of zestiness!”
“Corn Dogs” with Chipotle Mayo
- 4 Good quality hot dogs or brats
- 4 brioche hot dog buns
- 2 ears corn
- 1 roma tomato seeded and diced
- ½ cup cubed pineapple
- 2 tablespoons jarred pickled jalapenos
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- ½ lime
- 2 scallions chopped
- Kosher salt
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 canned chipotle chili plus 1 tablespoon sauce from the can
- Prepare your grill. Grill the corn for 5 minutes over indirect heat until just cooked through. Don’t overdo it or it will become gummy. Alternatively, you can boil the corn for a few minutes. Cut the kernel from the ear of corn and place in a bowl. Add the tomato, pineapple, cilantro, juice from ½ lime (about 1 tablespoon), scallions, and salt to taste, about ½ teaspoon. Set aside.
- Remove the seeds from the chipotle chili and chop. Place in a separate bowl with the mayonnaise and sauce from the can of chipotles. Stir to combine and season with a pinch of salt. Set aside.
- Grill the hot dogs or brats until cooked through. Serve on the buns with the salsa and chipotle mayo.