Ethereal clouds of sweet cream and perfect springtime strawberries – you are 5 ingredients away from heaven on earth.
** This post is part of the special Key Lime KIDS series, designed to help kids during these challenging times by providing entertaining and engaging activities for families to do together at home. RECIPES WILL BE ENJOYED BY KIDS AND ADULTS, ALIKE.
Light and airy whipped cream folded with fresh seasonal berries – when you have two great ingredients like these, no need to fuss! A strawberry fool is quite simple… and quite simply amazing!
Why whip cream by hand when you can use beaters, or even buy it at the store?
Most importantly, it’s about quality control. Store-bought whipped cream often contains added ingredients like preservatives and stabilizers which can affect the flavor and consistency.
Also, for many applications it’s best to be able to control the sweetness and/or dial in exactly how set up you’d like the whipped cream.
As for using beaters, it does indeed cut the time down by about half – but when we are talking about the difference of 2 minutes or 4, (with the benefit of a little therapeutic workout in along the way), I’ll take the whisk over the beaters any day!
But I surely won’t tell if you want to “plug in” for this recipe ?.
What is a “fool”?
I know several ? JK. A fool is essentially sweetened whipped cream mixed with fruit, and it is THE dessert you want to make when you have super fresh, super sweet, prime-time berries.
Of course, this works well with all kinds of fruit, so you can make a fool at any time of year with whatever fruit is at its peak. Raspberries, blackberries, peaches, plums, blueberries – all YUM! But in the springtime, there’s nothing like strawberries & cream.
Let’s get whipping!
Who’s ready for some fun?
So as a reminder, here’s how it works. Watch this short 6 min. video ? below, then practice what was learned while making the YUMMY, kid-approved recipe!
Subscribe to the full Key Lime Kids series on YouTube.
Our goal is to help as many families as possible with our Key Lime KIDS project, so please share this with a friend.
Brown Sugar Strawberry Fool
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ pound 1 pint strawberries, once diced it is two cups
- 2-3 tablespoons brown sugar depending on the sweetness of your strawberries
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest optional
- Hull and quarter the strawberries and place in a bowl with the brown sugar and lemon zest if using. Let sit while you whip the cream.
- In a bowl, whip the cream, powdered sugar and vanilla using a whisk until thickened.
- Puree the strawberries using a food processor or blender. Add this to the whipped cream, folding it in with a spatula.
- Divide the mixture into six bowls or glasses and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
Tips & Tricks
- I like the pureness and simple elegance of this dessert, but if you’d prefer a little crunch, you could add candied nuts sprinkled on top.
? We’ve got so much more fun in store. If you are new to Key Lime Lexi and don’t yet receive my emails with new recipes and ideas for better living, scroll to the bottom of this page and SUBSCRIBE so you don’t miss out.