Hot out of the oven… gooey and decadent brownies. Run, don’t walk, to the kitchen! Did I mention they are also gluten-free? But shhh, don’t tell anyone. It’ll be our secret 🤫.
** This post is part of the special Key Lime KIDS series, designed to help kids during these challenging times by providing entertaining and engaging activities for families to do together at home. RECIPES WILL BE ENJOYED BY KIDS AND ADULTS, ALIKE.
In this next video as part of our education series that I’m doing with my kids while they are home from school, Dylan is helping me demonstrate the best way to melt chocolate. Double boilers are the way to go, ensuring that you’ve got plenty of control over the gentle heat and won’t end up with scorched chocolate.
About five years ago, Dylan had what our pediatrician called “unexplained abdominal pain.” It’s really a thing! A high percentage of young kids have it, and no one knows what causes it (hence the “unexplained” part). We decided to try a few elimination diets to see if it would help. She went gluten-free for about a month, and during that time I found an amazing brownie recipe, and after some tweaking, we’ve been making it ever since.
We often add in extra flavor boosts to further amp up interest. Cinnamon and walnuts, swirls of caramel, rocky road, s’mores in the summertime, leftover Halloween candy in the fall, and crushed candy canes in the winter. My. OH, my.
Turns out, for Dylan, it wasn’t the gluten. (It wasn’t anything – her abdominal pain eventually went away, also unexplained!) She happily, and gratefully, returned to her two favorite food groups of “pizza” and “pasta”!
We still make these often though, especially since close friends have gluten sensitivity, and plus they’re straight up good! Enjoy!
Who’s ready for some fun?
So as a reminder, here’s how it works. Watch this short 6 min. video 🎬 below, then practice what was learned while making the YUMMY, kid-approved recipe!
Subscribe to the full Key Lime Kids series on YouTube.
Our goal is to help as many families as possible with our Key Lime KIDS project, so please share this with your network.
Best Fudgy Brownies - Won't Believe They're G.F.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a 8” square baking dish with parchment paper or foil. If using foil, grease it with butter (you don’t have to line your pan if you are greasing it, but it makes it easier to get the brownies out after they are cooked).
- Heat about an inch of water in a saucepan until simmering. Nest a heat proof bowl over top of the simmering water so that it does not rest IN the water. Place the chocolate and the butter in the bowl, and stir with a heat proof spatula until melted.
- Remove from the heat and add the sugar. Once combined, stir in the eggs and vanilla, and mix until combined. In a separate bowl, whisk the cornstarch, salt and cocoa powder. Add to the chocolate mixture and stir well.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake 25-30 minutes. Cool in the pan. Brownies keep a few days at room temperature.
👍 We’ve got so much more fun in store. If you are new to Key Lime Lexi and don’t yet receive my emails with new recipes and ideas for better living, scroll to the bottom of this page and SUBSCRIBE so you don’t miss out.