Unabashedly. I. LOVE. SEAFOOD.
Maybe it’s growing up in Florida? All those nights crabbing on Beer Can Island, hours spent collecting coquinas on the beach, having oyster stuffing at Granny’s for the holidays, or cracking stone crabs on special occasions… it all must have had an influence. Truth be told, I haven’t met a seafood that I didn’t love. It’s not surprising that my 6-year old sons’ favorite food is octopus, and my daughter asked for scallops for her last birthday dinner. It’s in our blood.
So with my birthday falling this week, I got to thinking- what should I do this week, what am I really craving?
And while I know people either love em or hate em- I’m putting it out there, I love little fishies. Yes, anchovies are one of my favorite foods. We were just at an Italian restaurant that served anchovies 3-ways. Heaven.
What else is heaven to me? Pizza. It’s one of my favorite things to make and to eat. So for my birthday week post…TA DA!
My 9-year old daughter just finished an essay on pizza making (my kids have been writing essays to keep their minds sharp over the summer). And I’m paraphrasing here, she noted how pizza is a blank canvas, you can make it be anything you want (and let me tell you, she’s got ideas : )
Point being, if you hate anchovies, you can still give this pie a try. Substitute small shrimp, a good quality canned tuna, or clams. Or, you can skip the seafood altogether and use prosciutto or salami. Pizza is so versatile!
AND if you’re using a store bought dough… well, dinner tonight is quick- and as easy as pie!
See the recipe step by step…
Politics, religion, ANCHOVIES… most of us have our convictions! Mine swim firmly in school with these little fishies-If yours don't, not to fret. I'll teach you a different way to make this PIZZA PIE deliver! ****************************RECIPE @ keylimelexi.com/anchovy-roasted-pepper-smoked-mozzarella-pizza..#homemade🍕 #anchovies🐟 #keylimelexi #floridafoodie #foodblog #beallsflorida #livelifelocal #bradenton #annamariaisland #inverness #crystalriver #thevillages #veniceflorida #englewoodfl #suncity #oldsmarfl #newportrichey #naplesflorida #portcharlotte #lakelandflorida #bonitasprings #ftmyers #sanibelisland #jupiterflorida #verobeach #boyntonbeach #tampabay #sarasotaflorida #southwestflorida
Posted by Key Lime Lexi on Thursday, August 8, 2019
Anchovy, Roasted Pepper, and Anchovy Pizza
- 1 11-12 ounce ball pizza dough store-bought or see my recipes for homemade
- ½ cup roasted bell peppers cut into strips see “know-how” for how to roast your own or buy jarred peppers
- ½ cup cheater tomato jam see recipe below
- ½ cup smoked mozzarella shredded or torn
- 8-10 tinned anchovies rinsed and patted dry
- Kosher salt and fresh black pepper
Cheater Tomato Jam
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves sliced
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 small ripe roma tomato diced
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ⅓ cup water
- ½ teasopon Kosher salt
- Make the tomato jam. Warm the olive oil in a small saucepan. Saute the garlic for 30 seconds, then add the tomato paste. Cook for a few minutes then add the oregano, diced tomato and sugar. Cook for another minute and then add the water and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Let cool and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat the oven to the hottest setting. If you have a pizza stone, put it in the bottom of the oven at this time.
- Make sure all of your toppings are prepped and ready. Stretch the pizza dough, using your fingers to push it out into a rough circle, and picking it up and pulling it into a roughly 11-12” round. Place on a baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal or flour, or if using the pizza stone then place the dough on a peel or small wood board dusted with flour or cornmeal so that it will slide off easily.
- Spread the tomato sauce around the dough, then top with the bell peppers. Sprinkle on the cheese, then lay the anchovies on top. Slide onto your pizza stone, or put the baking sheet in the oven, and bake until golden brown and bubbling, anywhere from 6-12 minutes depending on how hot your oven gets.
- Remove to a cutting board and serve immediately, with chili flakes if desired.
Tips & Tricks